March 23, 2007

3/23, Under the Lights

Rain's been on and off the last two days. Despite the dry periods, it wasn't until late, just before 7:00, today that I had a moment to run over to the Cathedral to check on the red-tailed hawks. No sign of a hawk in the nest, but I did find a couple trucks parked alongside Morningside Drive in the middle of raising two floodlight towers. Hmmmm.

I headed down into Morningside Park and up to 116th St. to look for Tristan's "favorite roost". Before getting there I instead saw the turkey flee 40 feet straight up into a tree after being harassed by some teenagers; she stayed up there until after I left the area. Just on reaching 116th St., Tristan flew by me and so I spotted where he alit. He stayed in one tree for a few minutes, then shifted to another. Temperature's not all that low, but he's fluffed up and it's almost 7:15, so I assumed he was set to stay.

Headed back south and found that one of the light banks had been turned on. Gosh, I hope Isolde is not in the nest.

Cathedral and Floodlights

Five minutes later the other set of floodlights went on.

Cathedral under Floodlights

I headed back up to Morningside Drive, and got two different stories about what the lights were for. Plainly though they were to illuminate the stainglass windows for something going on inside the Cathedral.

No sign of Isolde in the nest when I left at 7:40. If she was up there, she was hunkered way down. And for the best if so.

3 comments:

  1. Nice photos of the Cathedral Rob. Though I do hope Isolde had her sunglasses with her if she was in the nest. Though come to think of it, perhaps she always does, in the form of her nicitating eyelids. Seriously though I do hope she wasn't disturbed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, That's why I suggested that I hoped she wasn't in the nest. Those lights were BRIGHT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK got the scoop about the lights. They are for Elton John's birthday at the Cathedral tonight (I kid you not)! Anyway, Im sure the hawks are ok as they seem to manage to cope with any stupid thing we do, short of destroying their nests.

    ReplyDelete