April 18, 2018

4/13 & 4/17, St. John the Divine

Apparently my timing has been poor and perhaps it's my lack of patience, but it has been two weeks since I spotted a hawk in the nest at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine. A neighborhood dog walker assures me she has seen activity at the nest, so cross-your-fingers, let's hope things are going well.

It's not like I haven't seen a hawk at all. The male was perched at the top of the cathedral on the statue of the Archangel Gabriel early the evening of Friday, April 13.

Cathedral Hawk - 8733

Where he stayed for a half hour or more, waiting out observers below.

Early evening on Tuesday, April 17, the female hawk was perched on a gargoyle about 30 feet away from the nest.

Cathedral Hawk - 8834

Cathedral Hawk - 8843

Cathedral Hawk - 8863

Assuming there has been no problem, first hatch at the cathedral nest could happen in a few days. But given recent weather, well, who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment