April 23, 2008

Spring Progresses

Spring

Last week may be my favorite week of the year. It's when the flowering trees max out and only a few have started to shed their petals. By the weekend, flowers were giving way to green buds. Nevertheless, some flowering trees are still hanging in there today, such as the one in the above pic located in the close at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine.

No sign of activity at the red-tail nest at the cathedral when I've gone by during the past two days. Stormin' Norman has been out wherever it is that he hunts, and I assume Isolde was hunkered down on her eggs, which should hatch sometime between this Saturday and the following. Two other city red-tail nests in Queens and the Bronx have already had hatches reported, and I suspect that two or three of the other Manhattan nests may have had hatches within the last day or so.

I did find one mama sitting on her nest today. It looks like Morningside Park will have its first set of Canada goslings in two years.

Goose Nest

1 comment:

  1. Do you know the name of that flowering tree you have pictured above? I've been trying to figure out the name of this tree for a long time now. If you have any idea, please contact me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete