March 24, 2010

3/24, Cathedral Switch-Off

Red-Tail over Morningside

Just after 6:00 Wednesday evening, a red-tailed hawk soared out over Morningside Park and did some circles and figure eights. It seemed the kind of flying that one would do if one was good at flying and the weather was absolutely gorgeous, which it was.

Then the hawk flew back to the Cathedral of St. John the Divine and entered the red-tail nest using the "south entrance". The other hawk popped up on the north side of the nest, dove out and then flew down into Harlem around 114th or 115th St.

DSC_0191

It looked like Isolde who was leaving the nest. So this seemed to be a case of Norman coming by to do egg-sitting duty, but not bringing food, leaving Isolde to go hunt up her own dinner. If so, it must have taken some time, because she didn't return in the next 40 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Nice! I went by the Riverside nest yesterday. Couldn't tell if anyone was in it. While I was busy staring at the nest, a hawk suddenly swooped past me from a different tree. I'd been so focused on the nest I didn't even notice it until it came right past me.

    ReplyDelete