March 10, 2012

3/9, Almost Spring

Spring is just about here, and the city hawks are going to their nests. On Friday, after a futile week, I finally caught one of the cathedral red-tails in action, circling over Douglass Ave. in southern Harlem.

RT Over Harlem

But then a happy day turned into a very sad day. The last year has not been good for Manhattan red-tails, but somehow in the past three weeks, three adult females have died.

Update: One other adult red-tail and a youngster have also died recently.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no, First I heard about the Riverside female - terrible news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the first I heard about it was a blog post on roger_paw's site, but then it appeared on Gothamist and also in, I think, the Daily News.

    More unfortunately, the female from the CCNY apparently also died this past week. An adult female RT was hit by a car on St Nick Ave near the nest on Monday.

    ReplyDelete