April 29, 2012

4/29, Highbridge at Three Weeks

Torrential rain like we had last Sunday evening always makes me worry about exposed hawk nests. Late afternoon this Sunday I checked on the red-tail nest at the north end of Highbridge Park and was happy to see Martha and the two babies safe and sound.

Martha and Her Babies

I may have missed a feeding by 10 or 20 minutes. The two nestlings were both awake and wiggling about a bit. A couple times, one or the other of them stood up along the side of the nest, looking impressively big.

Martha and Her Babies

But after I'd watched for a little while, everyone was settling down.

Martha and Her Babies

And then perhaps 20 minutes after I started watching, both nestlings were obviously snoozing while Martha quietly preened her breast feathers.

No comments:

Post a Comment