March 20, 2013

3/19, Tail Feathers

With the red-tailed hawk nest at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine as high up and as deep as it is, a tail feathers sighting is about as good as it gets during nesting season unless you happen to catch a nest switch-off.

Tail Feathers

Not sure what I mean? Look closer. That's not a bit of bark poking up above the nest.

James reported the same view last Friday. This suggests that the cathedral nest is a week ahead of its usual schedule, and that hatch might occur around April 16.

2 comments:

  1. Exciting! Interesting that the nest is ahead of last year, when it seems that vegetation is behind last year. I have photos of March 21, 2012 showing cherry trees along the Hudson in full bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, maybe I shouldn't say it may be so very early. For some reason I think of the cathedral nest typically having first hatch about April 24, but not that I double-check I see that 2010 and 2012 were about April 17.

    ReplyDelete