April 17, 2007

4/17, Double-Crested Tuesday

Rainy days these days. What with the amount of rain and sometimes the wind, I've worried about the old-school hawk mamas nesting in trees.

Finally got out and about today and walked over to the Cathedral of St. John at about 5:30. No sign of hawk activity around the nest, so the usual program of walking down in Morningside Park, up past the dog run, back alongside the pond, and then back up to Morningside Drive either up the steps or via the corner of 110th St.

The pond itself was at the highest water level I've seen it, and there were signs that sometime(s) in the past few days it's actually washed over its banks and onto the park path. First encounter at the pond was a Canada goose who went after one of my shoe laces when I passed too closely. Next was, ah-ha, a bird whom I haven't seen since last year.

Double-Crested Cormorant in Morningside Park

Initially the double-crested cormorant was swimming about the middle of the pond with a trio of mallard drakes. He (she?) wasn't doing any fishing, so his crests were very apparent. He briefly got out of the pond for a bit when I walked to the other end, then got back in, then got back out. He must have cut a deal with the geese, as they didn't harass him at all even as he stood amongst them to air-dry his wings.

Drying Off

Yep, he's double-crested all right. But he has a browner back than I recalled them having.

Double-Crested Cormorant in Morningside Park

About 6:00 I headed back up the steps, checking on a bunch of starlings along the upper edge of the periphery. At Morningside Drive, again no sign of the red-tailed hawks. The drizzle begins to pick up a bit, so I make my exit.

No comments:

Post a Comment